Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Pumpkin of Halloween's Past

Digging through the Halloween box I found this Jack-o-lantern that my wife and I made in Halloween of 2008. Once again, I just made the pumpkin. It was my wife, with the wild imagination, who turned it into this really creepy looking jack-o-lantern. Pretty scary eh? and those lips look really chapped.


From a top view it looks like this jack-o-lantern has blond hair with surfer bangs. This is because with the raku process; the lid of this jack-o-lantern was taken from the kiln and put into a trash can full of newspaper where it would smolder and create different colors according to which side of the piece smoldered more. This was also done with the rest of the jack-o-lantern, however the lid was put into the trash can full of newspaper first. This meant that it was much hotter when it started smoldering than the rest of the jack-o-lantern.


I have found that when I raku hotter I get more gold, red, yellow and orange colors and when I raku colder I get more blue, purple, and maroon. This piece ended up getting a nice contrast between all those colors.

More pumpkin links:

If you haven't seen it; I have also done a video on making jack-o-lanterns, I have done a general update after the video, I have answered emails about making pumpkins, and I have received a picture of a pumpkin that someone made after watching The CodyO Show.

No comments:

Post a Comment